Thursday, September 22, 2011

Scenery on a budget (I). Making roads

There is a time whem every wargamer feels that he needs more scenery. In my case, things went this way: I started years ago collecting and painting miniatures, last year I bought a table, a green cloth and some model trees and finally I made some fields out of an old carpet.
Well, after severall battles I feel that I need more things: roads, rivers, hills, a true forest (no scattered trees), a village, orchards, a fortress... My permanent problem is money. If I buy miniatures I cannot buy scenery so...

Well, in this first post I tried to make a modular road without spending too much money.

Materials:

- 3 DM pieces of about 3mm and dimensions of 20x30cm.
- Modelling saw.
- Flint paper.
- Marker.
- Can of glue in spray for free, it was at home from a previous project.
- Sand for the texture, free it comes from the beach of Barcelona.
- Two big brushes, cheap from a craft store.
- Paint. From Vallejo, not model color but hobby craft line instead (the big ones).
- Green grass. The same I use for the bases. Free, I have a decent stock at home.
- Matt varnish

Total cost: Les than 15 Euros





STEP 1:

With the marker, draw the road sections on the DM boards. I made straigh sections of 30cm (about 1ft) long and 5cm wide plus two "T" sections the same length and several irregular curved sections.

STEP 2:

Cut the sections with the saw. They don't need to be perfect cut. After all its an earth road, not a padded way.

STEP 3:

With the flint paper smoth the endings of the road






STEP 4:

Spray the road sections with glue and cover with sand. Let dry



STEP 5:

Paint the roads and drybrush with a lighter color if you want.

STEP 6:

Put grass at the road limits and at the center.

STEP 7:

Apply matt varnsih and let dry



At the end you get a decent road that in my case is capable to cover all my table in both directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment